One piece turned into two, then three and four, and as most collectors can say, “you know the rest of the story.”
Over the years, we have added many pieces to our collection. Some of our sources have included antique shows, auctions, and Ebay. As a surprise, a friend of mine even brought back a piece from her vacation in London, as she knew what I liked.
Recently, we saw a piece on Ebay that we knew was an important piece, but did have damage to it. We decide to buy it and paid $75.00.
You can imagine my happiness when we saw these a week later listed for $7000.00 for the pair!
The ad says they are in pristine condition but have been repaired. In my opinion, “pristine” and “repaired” do not belong in the same sentence. The item is either new and in “mint condition”, or it is repaired. Very simple, no?
So this is what arrived…The seller didn’t think to use something a little more than newspaper to pack and ship. I was upset, but I loved the piece so much I decided to keep it. The breaks were clean and I knew I could redo the pieces that were originally broken.
Enter the bag of tricks!
Crazy Glue, self hardening clay and sculpting tools.
After attaching everything I salvaged from the packing, this is all I was left with…These pieces were not worth keeping because I am going to fill in those places with the clay. Finding the photo of the $7000.00 piece was great because it shows me what the missing pieces should look like once I sculpt them. That will be Part Two of my restoration post. I am hoping to begin this week and I am anxious to see the finished product. Stay tuned!!!!